Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Reflective: The Road I


The reading of “The Road” part one definitely challenged my understanding of things in a way that I didn’t imagine.  It challenged me because I have never thought about what if I had to live with nothing and had nothing.  I would be completely lost without a family and shelter and food.  In class we talked about the shopping cart and how that was not just something they put their stuff in but it was their home, their car and their safety.  The point that I connected to the text was when the boy got very sentimental over the old man who was struck by lightning.  I am a very sentimental person and I can see why he wanted to help the old man.  But I can also see from the Mans point of view of why they could not stop to help him, because they would also die.  This story has already contributed to my future.  It has showed me to not take for granted what I have now.  Of course, I’ve always heard that but for some reason this story is already very powerful and teaches you to not take your life for granted because you never know when it will disappear right in front of you.  I think this text can relate to our culture by teaching our culture something.  In this generation we have so many things that we want and need and spend hundreds of dollars on an iPod or phone that we don’t really need.   Our culture is a selfish culture and I believe that whoever has the opportunity to read this book will appreciate the little things more.  Just little things like having a Coke.  The boy in the text was given a Coke by the man and the boy thought it was the sweetest thing he has ever tasted, but us in the world now; we see a hundred Cokes a day just sitting in drink machines and being thrown out.  So it’s just something as simple as a Coke that can be the highlight of someone’s life, but to us it is just something that is always around.  I am enjoying this book so far and hoping it makes me live my life to the fullest because I have all the resources to do so unlike the man and the boy in the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment