Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Problematize: Peace like a River I


Part one of “Peace like a River” starts off on an awesome note.  It begins by telling the miracle of Reuben’s birth, by saying he was born dead and his father Jeremiah walked in the room and picked him up and demanded him to breathe.  Although Reuben was alive, he still has lung problems…for now.  The things that I find puzzling about this part of the book is why wondering why Davy is the way that he is.  He seems to not have such a tight relationship with God like the rest of the family nor is he as close with his family.  However I don’t find much of this part of the book challenging.  I completely agree with everything that is going on except for the two boys getting shot of course.  But I think that this part of the book is amazing and a great Christian book.  The Land’s are a very good Christian family.  I do challenge myself with the fact of wondering why Davy does not feel any kind of remorse for what he did.  I completely agree that those boys needed to have some kind of punishment, but when Davy “punished” those boys he ends up punishing his whole family by them being treated wrong by the whole town.  The faith of this book and my faith completely match up.  I think that the miracles that happen are wonderful works of God.  I think the only challenge of the SEU culture it would have would be the punishment Davy put on the boys.  I think they would agree that something better could have happened.  For a non-Christian reading this book would have many challenges.  The good thing about Christians reading it is that we agree with what is going on.  If a non Christian were to read it, I feel they wouldn’t agree or believe all the miracles that are happening through Jeremiah.  It would very challenging for that kind of culture to read this book.   

No comments:

Post a Comment